Dr. Supplee, also known as Dr. Sup, is my Program Director for Baylor Abroad Argentina style. She has lived in Mendoza before for years and has visited every summer for the past 20+ years. She knows a lot. That can be scary when she is your cultural group leader.
In my cultural group we explore the city and turn in assignments that reflect on our knowledge of Mendoza. The first meeting was interesting to say the least. We met at a coffee shop downtown near Plaza de Independicia and proceeded to walk for 3 hours...STRAIGHT. Jogging would be a better term used for this form of exercise we experienced. I didn't know a woman could move so quickly. I, of course, was bringing up the rear everytime (I have no shame) and almost died of exhaustion by the time our tour was over.
The history of the tour was really interesting. Mendoza has made it through a natural disaster and rebuilt their beautiful city to what it is now. An earthquake hit Mendoza in 1806 and killed over 5,000 people. The bodies left on the streets were causing diseases for the survivors so the town moved to what is now downtown, where I live. We also walked past several famous monuments of people and discussed who they were and how they helped Mendoza. I may not remember everything we talked about, or know everyone in the pictures, but I can say that I feel like I am a citizen of the beautiful Mendoza, Argentina now!
 |
| The original Plaza before the earthquake that destroyed the city. |
 |
| A monument to symbolize the city before the earthquake. |
 |
| I can't remember who this man was, but Dr. Sup is in the red! |
 |
| Original Plaza with views of the mountains. |
 |
| That compare Obama to Hitler and other evil's of the world. |
 |
| A very common instrument in Argentina. |
 |
| God is good all the time, all the time God is good! |
 |
| The first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize in South America. |
 |
| Argentina's Father of Education. |
 |
| This dungeon leds to two other floors that were there before the earthquake. The ground has moved a lot since the earthquake and they had to build on top of things. |
 |
| The original church before the earthquake. |
 |
This church housed many people during the war San Martín led.
|
I enjoyed learning about some history of Mendoza...even if my feet were sore for days!
No comments:
Post a Comment