There are little street gypsies everywhere I turn. They are very sneaky sneaky and if you aren't careful they can steal right out from under your nose like they did my friend, Aaron.
It all started when we were studying our español in a Subway downtown. Not a subway train station, a Subway fast food joint. Anywho, I was with some Hawaiian friends studying and chit-chatting when a boy, I would say about 10 years old, walks up to us. Mind you, we are ALL in español UNO, so we have no idea what the kid is saying to us, except MONEY. Most kids around town are selling stickers or little stuffed dogs and will put them in your face to try to sell them. This chico was selling stickers and had them right on Aaron's papers. Aaron is better at Spanish than the others with us, so he was able to say in nice terms, back off. I said vamonos muchacho over and over, but the kid didn't take me seriously. Finally, and this is no exaggeration, about ten minutes of the kid putting stickers in our face and us yelling at him to leave he walks out of the Subway. Five minutes later, Aaron is in a panic because he can't find his iPhone. The little gypsy stole it from Aaron while trying to sell us stickers. What a little gypsy was all I could think. Back home, my family likes to play Yahtzee and call me the gypsy because they think I somehow cheat. Well folks, I am not as they say a gypsy, but that chico sure was. So I can officially check off my list that I have met, and been duped by a gypsy.
To end it on a good note, not all the kids are bad here. I met one kid who taught me more in ten minutes than I've learned my entire time here.
But, beware of little gypsies in Mendoza, Argentina!
No comments:
Post a Comment